Monday, July 21, 2008

Reading

Sorry these few day is going to be quite busy!!! Have to help parents and sister pack for their trip to Bali. Hopefully my brother, my sis and me can go do all the necessary last minute shopping and then they can start packing.... That reminds me, I have to prep my camera for them. batteries, charger, memory cards....

At the same time I am trying to finish up one novel by this month!
So far I have finished 4 chapter and can't wait to continue...



A Novel with Recipes

Between mothers and daughters lies a very special world. Follow the relationships of two very different generations of women with everything to learn from each other...

For decades, they've gathered together, dressed in saris and sweater sets, to share recipes, arguments, and laughter. They are the Hindi-Bindi Club, a nickname given by their American daughters to the mothers who left India to start life anew. Daughters, now grown, and facing struggles of their own.

Kiran, Preity, and Rani are coming home for the holidays. Home to the suburbs of Washington, D.C., and of course, to the Hindi-Bindi Club. For what holiday would be complete without their mother hens' mouthwatering food, their gossip - and their unsolicited advice? For Kiran, a successful career can't fill the void left by her estrangement from her parents. Five years and one divorce later, she's ready to mend fences... and find a new husband the old-fashioned way. Good girl Preity's marriage is nearly perfect, but lately she's haunted by the memory of her first love-and her mother's interference in that romance. Then there's Rani, the wild child with the brains of a rocket scientist - and the weight of a dark burden she's carried all her life.

Now, as East meets West across time and tradition, six women will take their first steps toward true sisterhood, shattering long-kept secrets, sharing joy and tears, and allowing the real power of the Hindi-Bindi Club to take hold.

4 comments:

Ohkulala said...

eh, how come you not going to bali?

Salprith Kaur said...

Hi Kul...How have you been?
Well I taught at first let my parents go alone, but then they decided to take along my sister.
I'm saving my holidays and cash for the next holidays...
=)

Anonymous said...

Hindi-Bindi is a superb book. I love reading books by indian authors, want to know the ending??? ;-) sue

Salprith Kaur said...

Hi Sue,
NOooooooOOoooooo....
I don't want to know the ending...
I wanna read it myself. =)

So far, from what I have read, I like the concept in the writing... introducing each character one by one through their eyes...

And is has many beautiful words....
I will be posting up my favorites excerpts from it once I have finished reading it.

Cheers!