Thursday, November 08, 2007

Diwali Preparations, Baking Cookies...

Diwali is here!!!

Oh Gosh, we are so tired! We hardly had about 2 hours of sleep. Preparing cookies and cleaning up....We were totally drained out but we had the Diwali spirit that keep us going. So here are some snapshots of what we went through in the first few days till Diwali morning.

My mom and sister had already make 5 different kinds of cookies by Friday, while we were busy at work! So nice of them... I missed all the fun there experimenting making peanut, oats, nestum, custard and corn biscuits. Custard was one of my favorites. We used to make all the cookies together as a family. This year most of us were busy with work. There were so many steps we were could contribute in, such as kneading the dough, flattening the dough, cutting into shapes, decorating, baking and filling into jars.

So, Saturday I had to put in some helping hand since I was not working. So here's what I made...



First put in the ingredients...
Then, mix, mix and mix...tiringnyer.



This is how you make a ball of dough to be flattened!



Finally baking the orange cookies!



My next dish, coconut candy, YUM YUM. Well I had to make it as sweet as me. =P

That was all I could help to make on Saturday. Sunday till evening went by without helping much. When I reached home, I found my dad had started painting, so I joined in to help.



My dad who did most of the painting.



Me doing the touch ups.



My sister also helping in the touch ups.



This shows either how bad we were at painting or how much painting we did? I think I prefer the second explanation better.

Sunday over and back to work. There I had to make the last minute decision! My mom was already panicking and getting stressed up at home as there were so many more things to do and Diwali was just around the corner. So I quickly dropped in my leave for a day before and after Diwali. Well, I am so glad now that I took the leave...

So on Tuesday the 6th after work when I got back.....



MURUKU was being made!!!
My brother was so tired making the Muruku...he had to take a break.



So then, my sister took over. My dad gave her all the support she needed to finish!!!



Till very very late we continued on making cookies...Hmm..JEM TARTS...



Oppss, stop posing, look the jem tarts are sliding down...



YUM YUM...they are baked and smell so good ,I could eat them right away.

One day more to Diwali...tension!!!! We still haven't started on cakes!



There is lots of love put into the cakes!!!



Master Baker JI....cake burning already?



Before midnight, diwali lights are up.

HAPPY DIWALI, looking outside the window there were so many fireworks could be seen!

IN THE MORNING...just after 2 hours of sleep...



Pagi pagi sudah nangis! Jusprith and I really could not take the onions. Jusprith says "It's ok, just for my friends {SOB SOB}, since they are coming over, just for their sake {SOB SOB}, I don't mind crying for a while {SOB SOB}."



And finally, for the chefs, thumbs up! Good cooking! From dal to sardine to taufu sambal to chicken curry to gobbi to chapatti to rice..eveything was fenjer..for me la. Hip Hip Horay for them....All preparation went well.

No comments: